About Thought Jumper
We live in the rapid age of change, where education and learning are of paramount importance. Thought Jumper is our step forward in the form of a novel research to empower its users with their thoughts aided by a plethora of resources available on the internet. At Edvanta, we are driven by the belief that learning is lifelong and must be accelerated in all the ways possible. It is imperative that we do our bit in bringing about the right kind of awareness towards building a habit of learning and collective action that can bring about a civilisational change at large. We believe this can only happen if we dissolve our identities, bring down the barriers to learning, inculcate and foster a speak in ourselves and the society at large, towards learning, epitome of human collaboration and sustainable growth.
We hope to do our part to necessitate meaningful and important conversations aided by information, backed with evidence, and encapsulated with values. Our idea to build Thought jumper came out of the noise and the need to have informed and engaging conversations.
Given the rise in social collective on all the digital platforms of voice and recognition is sadly promoting narcissistic, market driven, exponential noise of information that, we believe, would lead to institutional decay and collapse of the sense-making as a whole.
We have particular interest in promoting the notion of cognitive revolution, that needs to be popularised, in order to uphold and empower its users with curiosity and awareness towards the most significant advancements made by humans so far in the history. We understand this is a huge task to accomplish and cannot happen by default. We intend to raise a notion of learning that is independent of certification, driven by the individual for the individual and the collective as a whole.
The systemic fragility is more often than not is backed by a reason of bias, and lack of awareness. Our systems of knowledge promote boxing of the human mind into an array of defined mediocrity. This starts with school and leads up to the lives of adults working in diverse fields and organisations.
Micro learning can be of two kinds – stacked and hierarchical; and spread and holarchical. Each of these lead to the path of a specialist and a generalist. Each of us, is both for the identified fields of actions and knowledge. While being specialist is often, promoted in the society, being a generalist is frequently looked down upon. We built Thought jumper, as a tool and a utility, for the curious, so that it can work as spade to dig deeper and wider. Given time, and persistence, we believe, it can help us ace the game of life in some arenas. While building Thought Jumper, we tried it ourselves, and the results were amazing. We intend to release it in the public domain to ensure that people can harness the power of their thoughts. Our team, recognised and believes, in the concept of perspectives and dimensions, that are carved out from the interconnectedness of thoughts.
We hope and believe, that if Thought Jumper could empower even a handful of students, teachers, researchers, story tellers, or enthusiasts think better, we would be happy that we did our bit.
We invite you to join our movement, in making internet, which is largest library out there, easy to navigate, and a better place for all.
Happy Thought Jumping!
– Navin Dutta
Why is it important to augment and enrich our Thoughts?
For humans, almost everything starts with a thought. Thoughts precede actions. Thoughts, are the building blocks for any narrative, story, action, event, or any human change. What would it be, if we could harness our thoughts more efficiently; and in an informed manner?
It could lead to wonderful things, both, for the individual, and the global collective as a whole. For example, it could lead to an informed social collective that would be better equipped to address the unique and diverse challenges of our time; leading to better and meaningful lives for all. It could further mean a new era of human cognitive collaboration and collective intelligence.
What is Thought Jumper?
Simply put, Thought Jumper is a very powerful knowledge graph.
In essence, Thought Jumper is a thought taking tool, that can help do some things really well, and some things better than before. It is evolving and changing by the day. We have a small team that is continuously innovating and researching on how to make it better, and easier to use.
Thought Jumper has a brigade of tools, that encompass several use-cases in the life of a learner in the digital age. We call these widgets. Widgets are of several kinds. Some widgets are good at sourcing different kinds of information, content and media, that is publicly available on the internet. Some widgets help in dissecting, organising, enriching these thoughts further. Some widgets help in understanding and mapping our thoughts into efficient processes of change and evolution.
There are several kinds of widgets available in Thought Jumper. Here are some of them.
- Search: This is one of most used widget, as it makes the life of a user simple in helping the user find information and assets. The search is very powerful and also has some suggestions to offer. It is possible to search using the search box, using command+select(in Mac) a phrase and control+select(in Linux & Windows). It is also possible to just look for the dictionary meaning using option+select(In Mac) and alt+select(in Linux and Windows)
- Layout: TJ has a rich layout editor that helps the user personalise the layout to their liking; and better suited for their current exploration. It is enabled like a desk and a drawer whose size and location can be determined by individual using it.
- Glossary: Very much like a Book’s glossary; that can be a simplified navigation to learn something. This widget is usually helpful in easy consumption, without the need of a visual representation in a graph.
- Detail: The detail widget pulls all the available or supplied details for the thoughts in focus.
- Notes: The library of all notes, both your notes and notes created by others.
- Universal Controls:
- Graph Explore: Graph Explore is a very powerful widget that harbours several tools and capabilities of the Thought Jumper engine to cover several use-cases. This widget is particularly useful in seeing a visual representation of the neighbour hood of concepts linked to the primary concept(search phrase). This can help in understanding which concept is linked to which concept. This also helps in structure the nodes of information semantically.
- Graph Index: In essence, Graph index is a tabular view for the Graph Explore widget.
- Data card: Byte sized information on the searched key phrase.
- Videos: Videos on the searched key phrase
- 3d Models: 3d Models on the searched key phrase
- Thought map: A chronological transcript of your search and look up history.
- Quests: A quest is a treasure hunt simulation of finding information that is both engaging and gratifying. Quests, by design, are essentially interactive thought maps that may have some activities hidden in the graph to make it interactive and insightful for the other user to navigate and find some predefined hidden treasures.
- Notes & Editor: Intuitive editor to capture your thoughts as notes. Edit existing content in a WYSIWYG style. It supports rich markdown text, videos, 3d models, images, screen recordings, byte sized information, and also links from the internet.
and several more…
What can Thought Jumper help do better?
Thought Jumper pulls neighbourhood concepts, if a key phrase is searched. It is possible for the user to define the search depth by supplying how many nodes of information is he interested in. It is also possible to fetch structural information that is already mapped for the identified key phrase.
Search Depth is useful defining your kind of exploration. One start slow with less number of nodes of information for a gradually evolving exploration. Once the user has contextualised this thought process, they can increase the search depth to find all nodes of information around that concept. It is also the user’s task to filter, organise and cluster information by creating categories for hierarchical information, or tags for overlapping concepts. One can also delete and remove unnecessary pieces of information.
The categories and tags created by user give meaning to the captured thoughts. These categories and tags are later helpful understanding and navigating the information buckets. The user may also enrich the nodes with semantic relationships and link them together in a format that others can easily go through and share.
Thought jumper can help with several use-cases.
- Organise & explore about something: Every exploration starts with a thought. This could be a key phrase that one can search for. The user can then build up a trail to contextualise his thought. Once this is done, the user can look for different kinds of information – facts, opinions, experiences and subjective information in the form of different kinds of assets – short form descriptions inn the form of data card, images, videos, 3d models, structural information etc.
- Tell a story backed by fact and experiences: Once the user has done his exploration, he can share stories which can be of two types – guided and interactive. Guided stories have predefined navigation scheme(though it is not strict); and interactive stories can have activities that a user can do. Thought maps, Quests and graphs are different ways a story can be told.
- Do an investigation: On occasions, where the user does not know much about how his journey would unfold, the user can start with certain questions and try and answer them to the best he can from the available resources on the internet.
- Share your journey: Thought Jumper captures the thought transcript of how a user explores something. It is possible to share the exact journey he took by creating an auto-saving quest. A quest is a chronological thought map.
- Map a process: Thought Jumper makes it very easy to map an existing process in such a way that is easy to explain and follow. These do not just capture journeys but also the information and assets associated with it.
- Turn your journey into a quest: Thought Jumper makes it super easy to turn your thought journey into a quest. Quests can also harbour a dependency graph that may have some activities hidden in the graph to make it interactive and insightful for the other user to navigate the thought map with some predefined hidden treasures. This can be represented well as a treasure hunt of information that is both engaging and gratifying.
- Brainstorm and work collaboratively: Co-thinking is a challenging concept because it is less talked about, very much individual in nature and at the same time collaborative. Thought Jumper has exploring innovative ways to do this better and faster. It is particularly challenging to structure our explorations in a way that lets one leverage their individual strengths; while keeping the integrity of the exploration for the collective. This is a coming soon feature and we are very excited about this.